Forum: Support Requests - Forum dedicated to support type threads and to support requests.

Thread: Windows 8 Tablet and built-in GPS receiver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Windows 8 Tablet and built-in GPS receiver 
    Thanks
    HI guys,

I bought a brand new Windows 8 tablet (Asus VivoTab). After some difficulties to install Centrafuse I finally managed to run it.
    Now, when I try to use Destinator with the built-in GPS receiver, I fail. I can't find it in the device manager. The Bing Maps and Weather App work perfectly. Does anybody know how set it up, so I can use the built-in GPS?

thanks and regards,
    dj

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djerazor View Post
    HI guys,

I bought a brand new Windows 8 tablet (Asus VivoTab). After some difficulties to install Centrafuse I finally managed to run it.
    Now, when I try to use Destinator with the built-in GPS receiver, I fail. I can't find it in the device manager. The Bing Maps and Weather App work perfectly. Does anybody know how set it up, so I can use the built-in GPS?

thanks and regards,
    dj
    Does the built-in GPS appear in Device Manager as a com port? If not, you won't be able to use it with Centrafuse (at this time). Windows 7/8 support a sensor API (one part of which is location) that's made available to applications via the System.Devices.Location namespace. Location information can be provided by your network (cell tower, IP address) at low resolution, or an internal or external GPS for high resolution information without the app needing to deal with the source directly. That's what is most likely happening with your tablet. I may address this in the next Centrafuse build, but for now, you'll have to find a way to address the internal GPS via a comport, or use an external add-on GPS.
    Mark

Thanks
    thanks for that quick reply. So the alternative is maybe to use a bluetooth gps dongle. Would this work then?

Thanks
    thanks for that quick reply. So the alternative is maybe to use a bluetooth gps dongle. Would this work then?
    The Centrafuse track record with BT GPS dongles is not very good. Not saying you can't use it, just that the are known issues with Centrafuse and BT GPS dongles.
    Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Centrafuse track record with BT GPS dongles is not very good. Not saying you can't use it, just that the are known issues with Centrafuse and BT GPS dongles.
    :( ok. Is there any roadmap, when the sensor API will be used. Just to get an idea: Is it more or less than one year?

Thanks
    :( ok. Is there any roadmap, when the sensor API will be used. Just to get an idea: Is it more or less than one year?
    I will do my best to get it integrated into the next release of Centrafuse. No promises, but the first beta should be ready in a month or so.
    Mark

Thanks
    wow, this is awesome :)

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. 30 days would be perfect, as this is the time I have to try CF :)

I'm running last version of CF on the new HP ElitePad. This is running nice but Bluetooth and GPS (which is a Broadcom GNSS) aren't recognized.

I'll follow this thread :)

Thanks in advance !!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaGa View Post
    Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. 30 days would be perfect, as this is the time I have to try CF :)

I'm running last version of CF on the new HP ElitePad. This is running nice but Bluetooth and GPS (which is a Broadcom GNSS) aren't recognized.

I'll follow this thread :)

Thanks in advance !!
    Bluetooth will depend on the ability of the BlueSoliel BT stack to recognize your internal BT radio. Chances are it won't...it seems to have a tough time with any of the Asus built-in BT devices for example. So you may have to use an external BT dongle.
    Mark

Thanks
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.

As I crawled the web to find some more infos about the GNSS devices, Turn-by-turn applications for Win8 and so on, I can now confirm that .. nothing exists ..

Many of the companies that were offering a 'laptop' version of their nav soft simply stopped the development (Garmin, iNav, ..) which means never any support for GNSS devices (support could only be offered by a 'bridge software' that would get the GPS info through the API and send it to a virtual COM PORT, which looks like impossible to do so far ...).

Windows 8 Store does not offer anything interesting ...

This all is very disappointing ..