Forum: Screens - LCD, TFT, Touchscreen, Non-touchscreen, rear-mount screen displays

Thread: 7" 1280x800 with capacitive touch controller

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Thanks
    Hi Cool Hand (and anyone else who is interested). As it's been about a week since the last communication, I thought that I would give you a quick update.

I have most of the code written to make the automatic backlight method support a way of sampling data from the light sensor to ensure that it's input is stable enough to prevent the rapid brightness changes associated with being in a car.

I need to go through the stages of refactoring, optimizing and testing before I release the next version, but it should be within the next week (factors of life permitting).

In regards to the pulsing on resume from sleep, I did have a go at replicating the issue but I was unsuccessful. I will however will pick this back up once I have finished off the stabilization code.

Thanks,

Ben

2. The Following User Says Thank You to benny_guk For This Useful Post:

Cool Hand (06-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Ben!

Let me know if you need more help getting it reproduced and Ill try to nail it down too.

Thanks
    Hi All, I have uploaded release version 1.0.2.1 to Codeplex ready for testing:

https://cflcdpanelchalkelec.codeplex.com/releases

In this version I have added some code that will take samples of light sensor data and compare them.

If each sample is the same, then the plugin will process backlight brightness changes as normal. However, if the samples are different, then the plugin will ignore the changes in light sensor input and maintain the current backlight brightness levels and start the process again.

This change should stop rapidly changing light sensor values from changing the backlight brightness too quickly.

Thanks,

Ben

5. The Following User Says Thank You to benny_guk For This Useful Post:

Cool Hand (06-24-2015)

Thanks
    I think you just fixed the pulsing problem, too. I cant reproduce it anymore. Might be because of the crappy weather right now and no proper sunshine, but I will test it again once the sun comes out again.
    Brightness changing is working very well now, too.
    But is it me or doesnt the brightness change in as many steps anymore? For me the screen stays on lowest brightness until the sensor registers about 3 or 4 lighting. Gaps like that are across the whole lighting band. Not sure how it was before. Maybe its just more noticeable since the brightness change isnt as quick anymore. Its not a big deal.
    Thanks a lot! :)

Thanks
    Hi Cool Hand, that's excellent news.

I have been through the process of refactoring the code which runs the automatic backlight method of the plugin, so maybe it was caused by something I have cleaned up. The code has changed quite a bit!

Let me know if it does happen again and we'll have a go at troubleshooting the issue.

In the code there is a filter which excludes brightness changes that are either 1 or 2 steps above or below the current backlight brightness. I did this to stop the backlight from flickering on small changes as it looked pretty ugly, so yes, you need a brightness difference of 3 or more to trigger a change in brightness.

I think you will like the sample/compare code that I have implemented as it stops the code from overreacting to light sensor input changes. I've tested pretty thoroughly and it seems to work well.

Let me know if you find any issues. As long as you or anyone else doesn’t find any more issues, I think development will be done for this at least for now. Onwards and upwards :)

Ben.

Thanks
    How's this going? Great project for this great hardware option. Thanks for the hard work.

[QUOTE=benny_guk;116741]Hi Cool Hand, that's excellent news.

I have been through the process of refactoring the code which runs the automatic backlight method of the plugin, so maybe it was caused by something I have cleaned up. The code has changed quite a bit!

Let me know if it does happen again and we'll have a go at troubleshooting the issue.

In the code there is a filter which excludes brightness changes that are either 1 or 2 steps above or below the current backlight brightness. I did this to stop the backlight from flickering on small changes as it looked pretty ugly, so yes, you need a brightness difference of 3 or more to trigger a change in brightness.

I think you will like the sample/compare code that I have implemented as it stops the code from overreacting to light sensor input changes. I've tested pretty thoroughly and it seems to work well.

Let me know if you find any issues. As long as you or anyone else doesn

Thanks
    I recently installed the 7" Open-frame Chalkboard LCD. It has been a great upgrade, IPS, ability to change brightness via software, HDMI in, all integrated.

Sadly the company has never responded to any email of mine. I thought perhaps the whole thing was dead, yet then they released updates a couple months ago.

I'm also really thankful to benny_guk and others who worked on the plugin for this screens' backlight, it works great. (Infact chalk-tec's own backlight GUI doesn't even detect my screen, yet your plugin works perfectly.)

I hope the company continues and these screens become more popular so the effort so far isn't in vain. It's a great product for any CarPC or other project where someone needs a small high quality touch display.

Last thing: I somehow lost my light sensor. Does anyone know the model/specs so I can source a replacement? Thanks.