Forum: Released Apps / Skins - This forum is for App developers and Skin designers to post information about their creations, and provided customer support for their product.

Thread: DAB DAB+ FM Digital Radio Board (Aka The Monkeyboard)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 DAB DAB+ FM Digital Radio Board (Aka The Monkeyboard) - Radio Module 
    Thanks
    All,

I've created a radio plugin to support the DAB DAB+ FM Digital Radio Board, http://www.monkeyboard.org/products/...elopment-board

This post is updated as the world changes to save readers from scrolling through pages of posts to find nuggets of wisdom.

Thanks to several people, most things work and its available in the CF market place: http://www.centrafuse.com/AppDetail.aspx?appid=153
    Initializes the unit
    Mute / UnMute
    Set FM Frequency / DAB Channel
    Save / Load presets (Provided by CF)
    Auto detect COM port
    Channel Text (ProgramName, ProgramType & RDS text, but only in FM mode due to CF limitations)
    Autoscan
    Config plugin (Volume, VID / PID, COM port for override)
    Switch to/from DAB/FM
    DAB Channel scan

Todo: Country index of DAB frequences.

Quirks:
    1) CF does not natively support DAB, but it does support AM. DAB support has therefore been implemented by using the AM band in CF. DAB channel 0 is AM channel 520. Set to AM 530 to use DAB channel 10 etc.

2) As the AM band does not support digital text, I currently can't display the program texts when in DAB mode. This is a limitation of using the radio plugin framework in CF and fudging DAB support with AM. CF has promised to provide details on how to use the HD mode, but has yet to provide any information. Feel free to send them a post asking for it.

3) As I used the CF radio interface, its not as polished in some areas as it could be. CF radio currently does not support elements like signal strength and program type (News, Pop, Classical etc)
    Hopefull the CF interface gets a facelift, or a full plugin will be created. (This is now in progress to take advantage of the new features.)

4) The installer has an issue as the cfapp is a mix of a plugin and a radio module. It sees the radio module, but not the plugin after the install. Close and re-launch CF and both are visible.

5) The module currently requires CF 4.2 or higher as it uses .NET 4.0

If you know how to utilize the HD component of the ICFRadio class, please pass me any details you have so I can support the DAB equivelant of RDS. If you have dev skills or would like to help improve the plugin, (in any area), translations, GUI, layout, graphics, coding and an application icon for the market place, please let me know. Source code, C#, is included in plugin.

FM Mode:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	45

DAB Mode (Yes, it does say AM, its a limitation of the current ICFRadio class. Subtract 520 to get the DAB channel... :( ):

Name:	5.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	46

Configuration Settings:

Name:	1.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	50Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	51Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	52

Enable "Rescan" and restart CF. Module will scan for DAB channels. This can take up to 2 minutes to complete. When done, change to Off. Else it will rescan on each start up. Modify the Start and End Scan values to match your location as can significantly speed up a scan.

Version history:
    4.1.1.0 (WIP)
    Country selection instead of start and end freq.
    Fixed volume issue
    Changed start and end of DAB scan to include all frequencies by default
    4.0.3.0:
    Fixed DLL versioning preventing a dll from loading
    4.0.2.0:
    Fixed an issue with RDS cached data
    Added DAB channel scanning via the config page
    Initial Release

Enjoy. Report bugs/issues. Request new features.

JJ
    Last edited by johnjore; 01-16-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fixups as the world has changed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to johnjore For This Useful Post:

TBM (09-23-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for your effort sofar!

I have been following the thread about this Keystone DAB unit on the MP3Car forum for some time now and it is amazing how fast it's being picked up by everyone.
    The board developer seems very helpful as well with fast responses and api changes.

Currently I am still using CB's Ultimate DAB/FM unit which works reasonably well thanks to MP3 Car member ibf.
    DAB reception is okay (no nationwide coverage and only 8 channels or so atm) but FM reception is not that good.
    Maybe I need to relocate the unit further away from any other electronics.
    I am seriously tempted to get Monkeyboard's Keystone DAB unit and see how that one performs before relocating anything.
    Several users say FM reception is an improvement over the Frontier Silicon DAB unit.

Anyway John, keep up the good work.

Maybe Mark and Willem can find some time (no idea where, though ) to look into this as well.
    As Mark said there is no DAB(+) in the US that makes testing things difficult but Willem is from down under where DAB+ is quite common - although I am not sure if there any stations where he lives.

I am not much of a programmer but if any help with skin stuff is needed, I'll be happy to offer some assistance.

Thanks
    :) Thanks!

JJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjore View Post
    Configuration Settings:
    Attachment 47
    No idea why the pictures are so small?!?
    Because the original image is very wide, the max image size is 800x600px. If it's larger then that it's resized proportionally.

Willem
    Last edited by Willem; 09-24-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: increased max image size is 800x600px
    Willem
    Forum Administrator
    Enough knowledge to be dangerous, not enough to be useful.
    Have a request or suggestion for the forums? Post it here!

Thanks
    Ah. Fixed post. :)

Thanks
    Hello, app does not seem to install correctly, grayed out button does not initialise. Error log reports:

9/27/2012 4:08:02 PM (08:02.03)
    CF3_initSection (DABFMMonkey) 1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at centrafuse.Plugins.CFPlugin.CF3_initSection(String sectionID)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9/27/2012 4:08:02 PM (08:02.04)
    CF3_initSection (DABFMMonkey) 3: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at centrafuse.Plugins.SkinReader.GetSectionAttribute( String sectionid, String attributename, SkinReader pluginSkinReader)
    at centrafuse.Plugins.CFPlugin.CF3_initSection(String sectionID)

Unistalled (deleted all associated app files), reinstalled through Market. Downloaded manually.

App files apear in both radio modules and pugins folder. App file does not contain a skin file.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Running Windows 7, CF 4.2

Thanks
    Thats probably my fault. The cfapp is a hybrid, containing both a radio interface and a plugin. CF does not handle this very well as it expects the cfapp to be one or the other, not both. The plugin's only purpose is to provide a setup / config screen as CF's radio interface can't be expanded to support 3rd party options.

1) I'm not sure what the minimum version of CF is required. It's compiled as .NET 4 and my dev machine uses CF 4.3.4.723. I can't remember what CF version my car uses. (4.3.x or 4.2.x). Make sure you've got .NET 4 installed.

1) There is no skin file and its not used. Ignore the skin error.

2) Can you check the following files exist in these locations after the failed install:
    \plugins\DABFMMonkey\Languages\DABFMMonkey.xml
    \plugins\DABFMMonkey\DABFMMonkey.dll (24576 bytes)
    \RadioModules\DABFMMonkey\DABFMMonkey.dll (36864 bytes)
    \RadioModules\DABFMMonkey\keystonecomm.dll

If they don't, rename the cfapp file to zip, unpack and copy manually. (Copy DABFMMonkeySetup.dll to \plugins\DABFMMonkey\DABFMMonkey.dll)

3) The installer should copy the files to the correct locations, but it fails to run anything on install as its a hybrid. Ignore this and relaunch CF.

4) In CF's Radio settings you should see DABFMMonkey as a radio option, select it and set settings as per you setup.

5) In CF's Apps settings you should see DABFMMonkey. Select it to change settings. Use this to tweak settings for your country. Don't assign DABFMMonkey a button.

5) Start CF with '-logevents -advsettings' and send me the centrafuse.log file. My email address is in the readme.txt file in the cfapp file and i'll take a look at the log file.

Edit: Jepp, I messed up. Last thing i did before I packaged it up was to change all the file versions to 4.0.2.0 and i didn't test it. Both the plugin and radio module are called the same and use the same version. CF bombs out.

Put the attached DLL in \RadioModules\DABFMMonkey\DABFMMonkey.dll after installing the other files.
    New DABFMMonkey.dll.zip

JJ
    Last edited by johnjore; 09-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Cheers for the fast reply, will try tomorrow and let you know

Jamie

Thanks
    I'm using 4.2.7.524 but cannot select the radio in CF's radio settings, the app settings is there, but I only have HDRadio and Silabs.
    I also cannot add a new one for some reason.

Will email you a log file

Thanks
    Hi Pesky,
    I suspect you've not replaced the dll in the radio folder with the one in post #7. I messed up when i packaged it for the market place.
    I've emailed the DLL and a new cfapp installer to you along with some instructions.

Send me some screenshots of the contents of the folders if it does not work and let me know how it goes.

JJ